Mathematics at Gothic Mede Academy
Mathematics is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary in most forms of employment. At Gothic Mede Academy we believe a high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
Children are supported to develop:
- A secure understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics.
- A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics.
- An understanding of the importance of mathematical skills in everyday life.
- A fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
- A commitment to and passion for mathematics.
- The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes.
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts.
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges.
- The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
- A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
“At GMA, we have a commitment that ALL pupils can and will achieve in mathematics by providing opportunities for all pupils to develop the depth and rigour they need to make secure and sustained progress over time.”
At Gothic Mede Academy, we teach mathematics for mastery, an engaging and accessible style of mathematics teaching. Mastering maths means pupils acquiring a deep, long-term, secure and adaptable understanding of the subject. Our approach enhances mathematical understanding, enjoyment and achievement for every child. Children are encouraged to physically represent mathematical concepts. Objects and pictures are used to demonstrate and visualise abstract ideas, alongside numbers and symbols. Mathematical concepts are explored in a variety of representations and problem-solving contexts to give pupils a richer and deeper learning experience.